Pork barbecue in bamboo skewers is what Filipino Style Pork BBQ is all about. It is composed of thinly sliced pork pieces that are marinated in a special mixture of seasonings and spices. In the Philippines, it is normally grilled over wood charcoal and dipped in a tall jar of spicy vinegar before eating.
This Filipino Style Pork BBQ Recipe is simple enough for anyone to follow. You can combine all the marinade ingredients with the pork and mix it all together until well blended. Cover the bowl that holds the meat with a piece of cling wrap and placed it inside the refrigerator to marinate overnight. The recipe below indicates a minimum of 3 hours to marinate the meat, but we suggest you to do it longer (if you are not in a hurry) to get the best result.
Try portable charcoal grill (instead of my trusted gas grill) to make it as close as the one’s that you can. However, you can use the charcoal briquettes instead if the more traditional hardwood lumps. That is as close as you can get.
We assure you will be happy to get the result that you expect. It was a success! You can dip it in spicy vinegar and ate it with Java rice.
Try this Filipino Style Pork BBQ recipe.
Filipino Style Pork BBQ
This is a recipe for Filipino Style Pork BBQ:
|Prep Time||3 hours|
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
|Total Time||3 hours 15 minutes|
- 4 lbs. pork shoulder sliced into thin pieces
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup juice extracted from calamansi or lemon
- ¾ cup banana ketchup
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ cups lemon or lime soda
- Arrange the pork slices in a large bowl.
- Add all the marinade ingredients. Mix well. Cover the bowl and marinate for at least 3 hours. Note: I strongly suggest marinating overnight for best results.
- Fasten the marinated pork together using bamboo skewers.
- Heat-up the grill. Start to grill your Filipino Style pork BBQ for 3 to 5 minutes per side until the meat is thoroughly cooked. Make sure to always baste the BBQ when flipping it over. Note: the basting sauce ingredients are the same as the marinade ingredients minus the lemon soda.
- Serve with spicy vinegar.
- Share and enjoy!